Sources of Information and Help
Focussing on finding help in Scotland this page helps direct people to sources of information and help in this part of Europe.
There is no definitive expert in the fields of psychoactive substance use. Whilst psychiatrists, psychologists, drug treatment professionals and ex addicts may all have useful skills and prove helpful in engaging with the subject, there is no definitive 'expert'. (Janus Solutions 2007)
The following list of contacts is neither exhaustive nor meant to be exclusive but offered as a starting point to help you begin to explore and find your own answers. We do of course provide a brief description which is totally biased and is developing as we go.
- www.erowid.org The worlds most comprehensive drug information site? (an anorak's dream)
- www.actionalcoholdrugsedinburgh.org.uk Our own drug & alcohol action team in Auld Reekie.
- www.sdf.org.uk Scotland's umbrella voluntary org for substance use services
- www.drugscope.org.uk Good all-round Non-Governmental Org. (NGO) light campaigning edge
- www.alcoholconcern.org.uk Interesting resources & facts around bevy and associated issues
- www.knowthescore.info Scottish govt site useful stuff for parents and professionals, also helpline
- www.crew2000.co.uk In process of being revamped / some useful stuff
- www.coca.org.uk Good site for all things stimulant, i.e. cocaine & incorporates crystal meth watch.
- www.drugmisuse.isdscotland.org Scottish Government Site with latest research, stats and polices
- www.emcdda.europa EU Drug monitoring site good overview of EU and national prevalence
Free 24 hour telephone helpline: UK National Drugs Helpline 0800 77 66 00
- www.scottishdrugservices.com Govt/NGO collaboration on what services are in your area
- www.alcoholics-anonymous.org Possibly best known self help organisation for alcoholics (12 step)
- www.ukna.org Narcotics Anonymous similar self help to AA both sites have lists of meetings
- www.cascotland.org.uk Cocaine Anonymous 12 step support programme
- www.sfad.org.uk Family support groups around Scotland, Govt Supported NGO
- www.al-anonuk.org.uk/alateen Family support groups incorporating 12 step model
- www.release.org Information and advice on legal aspects of drugs (London based)
Drug Policy Reform
(for those of you who have expressed an interest and requested more info)
- www.transform.org.uk UK's leading policy reform group advocating control and regulation
- www.drugpolicy.org USA based with worldwide view on policy formulation (Ethan Nadleman leads)