Here are some simple safety tips to help you enjoy being out and get you home safe...
Before you go:
- make sure your mobile phone is fully charged and has credit before heading out
- wrap up warm when you're out and about
- carry enough money to get home and keep it safe from your other money
- plan your journey home: book a taxi or arrange for someone to collect you
- leave emergency money at home to pay for a taxi
When you're out:
- if you leave with strangers, make sure your friends know where you are going
- remember safety in numbers, stick with your mates
- look after your mates: text a friend to let them know when you arrive home safely, get them to text you too
- avoid walking home if under the influence
- do not accept lifts from cruising cabs or touts and try to travel home with a friend
- if walking home, keep to well lit, busy areas, always try to walk facing traffic so a car cannot pull up behind you unnoticed
If you feel threathened:
- stay calm and walk away if someone approaches you that you don't know
- stop at a well-lit public place, such as a pub or takeaway. Don't go straight home as this will show the person where you live
How to make a to make a reverse charge call
1. Dial 0800 738 3773 (Put this in your phone now!)
2. You'll be connected to an automated system
3. After a prompt, simply enter the phone number of the person you wish to call. The number can be a mobile or home phone. If you are calling a home phone, be sure to include the area code in-front of the number (eg. 0131 for Edinburgh)
4. After the tone, record your name.It's important to say your name clearly as we'll play this to the person you're calling so they knows it's you
5. If the person answering accepts the charges,you'll be connected after hearing:"Your call is connected..."
Please stay safe and enjoy yourself!