Drug warning- PMMA
Crew News: Jul 28 2011
Some ecstasy batches and legal high products have been analysed to contain the substance PMMA.
PMMA is a stimulant and class A drug. It is structurally similar to PMA which has known toxicity and the SCDEA have released information about its links to 19 deaths in Europe.
Although users report similarities to effects of MDMA, many argue that effects can feel less potent than MDMA which can result in users re-dosing and thus increasing the risks.Forensic analysis has identified batches which have contained PMMA in Legal High products:
- Mind Candy
- Xtacy ULTRA
- Doves Red
- Doves Red Ultra
and Ecstasy tablets with :
- rolex crown logo (pink pill)
- four leaf clover logo (white pill) .
It is possible that other types and batches may contain PMMA so users are advised to exercise caution. For more information or images of these substances, please check out the SCDEA briefing in downloads.
Harm reduction advice
If you are determined to use:
- Start with half a pill and wait at least 1-2 hours before redosing
- Avoid mixing with other substances including alcohol
- Take regular breaks from dancing
- If dancing, drink water or isotonic drinks so as not to dehydrate but be careful with water consumption, don't go over a pint an hour
- Look after your mates and seek help if you need to
For more info on ecstasy, check out here.
Signs of an overdose could include:
- Hyperthermia (very high body temperature or overheating)
- Rapid heart rate
- Severe nausea and vomiting
If you are experiencing difficulty from any drug use and would like further information advice or support, please contact us or contact Know the Score on 0800 587 587 9.If you experience medical difficulties please contact your A and E, your GP or NHS 24 on 08454 242424.